When it rains in Great Britain, everyone reaches for a hot drink and a scone. Try these yummy, summery lemonade scones the next time rain keeps you inside.
- 1 cup lemon-lime soda (7-Up, Sprite, Sierra Mist, Fanta, Faygo, Slice, or Squirt)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 beaten egg OR 4 tb. milk
- 3 cups self-raising (all-purpose) flour
- Handful of raisins or other dried fruit (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, dried fruit (if you’re using them), sour cream, and soda.
- Sprinkle flour onto the kitchen counter or other cutting surface.
- Turn the bowl upside down and drop the dough onto the floured surface. Sprinkle a little bit of flour on top of the dough.
- Pat down the dough until it is about ½ in. high.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out the scones.
- Place scones on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush tops of scones with beaten egg OR milk.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until tops are golden brown
Enjoy your scone with some butter and honey, or jelly, or clotted cream if you’re feeling very fancy.